Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 56

Things are still pretty slow in the news around here, but I guess that is OK for the Doulos because this is a time when many people are finishing their 2-year term on the Doulos (most people come for two years) and 64 new people are just beginning next week.



That lady I met at the Vancouver airport (Bernadette) came by the other day. She asked if there was anything she could buy for my in town. At first I thought, no that's ok, but then I remembered that earlier that day I had resolved to make fruit smoothies for the book ex department. (Some people keep trying to make fresh "juice" for us apparently by squeezing the juice out of some fruit, throwing it away, and then blending the remaining pulp with some ice.) So I mentioned my smoothie idea to Bernadette and she promptly took me on an all expenses paid shopping spree at multiple markets buying large quantities of various fruits and also cake and other things. And on top of that forced me to take 100 ringgit. I gave the cake away for birthdays and such and I got to make my ultimate smoothie yesterday (two pitchers full) and distribute it to people in the book ex and other people sitting around. This smoothie contained banana, yogurt, strawberries, mango, papaya, dragonfruit, star fruit, peaches, kiwi, watermelon and plastic spoon. That last one was unintentional. It came from one of the yogurt lids. But everyone thoroughly enjoy the smoothie nonetheless.

That's all I can think of saying as far as recent events. I suppose I should answer a question my mom asked a long time ago about friends and getting along with people. I'm in a cabin with 10 guys, all STEPpers. We all get along great. This is obviously a work of God. Our ages range from 18 (I think) to 40-something. Some have been Christians for 18 months, some for 20 years. Our backgrounds are so different (and some aren't very pretty). We come from Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, America, Canada, Switzerland, Germany, and Northern Ireland. We have a wide range of personalities and gifts, different levels of spiritual maturity and different tastes and interests. Some of us don't understand the difference between paper and plastic garbage. But despite all these differences we get along great. Some of us are fast friends, some of us don't talk much but the general atmosphere in our cabin is loving and joyful. In this picture just above, you can see (front to back) my cabin mates Hao, from Taiwan; Sam, from Switzerland; and Clarence from Singapore. Hao and Sam are my closest companions here since we all work in the same shift in the bookshop. That's a bit about my cabin.
I have noticed one interesting thing on this ship. As I have been meeting hundreds of people onboard I have been suprised at how consistently cool and/or nice people are. I think I'm not used to being around such a high ratio of passionate Christians. I have noticed myself making assumptions and pre-judgements about people when I first see them, but when I actually talk to them I realise I was all wrong. I'm used to people having a lot more issues in the "real world".
Perhaps this all sounds too rosy. Well, sure nobody here, like anywhere else in the world, is perfect. Some are more passionate than others, some are more mature than others. I have been dissapointed with some of the movies I have seen people watching and shocked by some of the songs on the shared music libraries on the network. It seems that there is a problem with theft on the ship. I have observed occasional tension between people and some people aren't always smiling or even very awake. But for the most part things actually are quite awesome around here.
I am late for work now. Sorry, no prayer requests.

No comments: