Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 50

Sorry for not posting for awhile. I am still alive and well. We have been in Malaysia for almost a week and there isn’t much to report yet. By the way, I carefully examined the list of words we aren’t supposed to say in our electronic communication, and “Jesus”, “Praise the Lord”, “Hallelujah” and “Amen” weren’t on the list, so I guess I will continue to say such things as often as I like.

Interestingly we have arrived here at the beginning of Ramadan, which means the Muslim’s here won’t be eating during the daytime. I can hear the call to prayer at noon time or whenever they do it, coming from somewhere in the city. Apparently Ramadan is the time when a lot of Muslims have visions and dreams of Christ, so, something to pray about.

The opening weekend when we arrived here was really busy (7000-some visitors one day), but now the weekdays have been very slow (under 500). I had an E-Day on Monday. There was a painting competition on the quay-side held by one of the sponsors (a paint store) for the Doulos here in KK. Me and another fellow were supposed to assist as needed, but they didn’t need our assistance. So then I mentioned to the sponsor guy, it’s funny, because I work as an artist back home. That is how I ended up painting a picture that day. It wasn’t a great painting but I got first place in the Doloid category!

Despite being under a tent the whole time, I managed to get sunburnt. Then the next day I went out to the beach, and even though it was cloudy and I put sunscreen on once I got to the beach I still got even more sunburnt.

Remember that lady I met at YVR who was returning to KK and knew about the Doulos and invited me to her church at the 5-star hotel? Well anyway, my cabin mate Jack (his name should be familiar to you by now), met a lady in Australia the day before he came to the Doulos, and she was from KK or leastwise she new the pastor of the hotel church and gave him his contact info. Interesting eh? I’m looking forward to going to this church, but I haven’t heard from the lady I met yet. If I hadn’t slept in and missed devotion on Tuesday I would be telling you about the amazing testimony of the president of that hotel/resort which he came to share that morning.

I figure that since we are restricted in our ministry here in Malaysia our main focus here will be to encourage the church, and nearly all the E-Days appear to be going to churches. So far it kind of feels like our STEP will be ending on a—not a low note, but a quiet note, let’s say…

Prayer requests:

  • Keep praying for the Doulos in KK, that we could bless the people somehow
  • Pray for the Muslims during this month of Ramadan

3 comments:

Kaisuirmeli said...

Do you have a photo of that winning painting of yours?:)

Moss said...

Well, that last photo shows me putting the finishing touches on it, but I did take a straight on shot, for posterity.

Kaisuirmeli said...

I wanted to see the straight on shot...